Skip to main content

First Baptist Church of Corning records

 Collection — microfilm reel: 1
Identifier: 6078

COLLECTION DESCRIPTION

This record book was rendered partially illegible by flooding caused by hurricane Agnes in June 1972, however, it was microfilmed anyway as a hedge against further deterioration.

The volume contains covenant meeting minutes (September 1842 - June 1896), the church Covenant and Articles of Faith, minutes of the council called upon to constitute the church (August 24, 1842) and membership lists which contain names and dismissal and admittance information.

Dates

  • 1842-1896.

Creator

Language of Materials

Collection material in English

ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORY

On February 13, 1842 residents of Corning and vicinity who belonged to the Baptist Church of Campbell and Erwin requested that they be given leave to form themselves as a separate church. The request was granted and on August 24, 1842 a council was convened and the church was organized with 24 members. For the first few years the congregation met in the Episcopal Church, in the members' homes, in a hall rented for 50 cents a meeting, or in the Methodist chapel. A house of worship, begun in 1849, was dedicated on May 8, 1850. There is a gap in the records from May 4, 1861 until January 2, 1864, indicating perhaps the effects the war had on those at home. By 1870 the church had 147 members. In 1879 the church incorporated, and in 1882 plans were begun for a new church which was dedicated on October 21, 1886.

In 1896 the first letters were granted to several members to aid in establishing the North Baptist Church (formally organized in 1902).

In November 1892 the envelope system began to supplement pew rentals, which were gradually phased out.

The church was a member of the Chemung River Baptist Association until 1916. See the accession folder for additional details.

Extent

1 microfilm reels. (1 microfilm reels.)

Abstract

Church covenant, articles of faith, minutes of the council called upon to constitute the church, covenant, and annual meeting minutes (1842-1896) and membership lists.

Physical Description

Microfilm.

General

Contact Information:
Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections 2B Carl A. Kroch Library Cornell University Ithaca, NY 14853 (607) 255-3530 Fax: (607) 255-9524 rareref@cornell.edu http://rmc.library.cornell.edu
Compiled by:
S.L.
Date completed:
Aug. 1979
EAD encoding:
Andrea Hektor, Aug. 2004
Date modified:
Marcie Farwell, February 2015
Status
Completed
Author
Compiled by S.L.
Date
August 10, 2004
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections Repository

Contact:
2B Carl A. Kroch Library
Cornell University
Ithaca NY 14853
607-255-3530
607-255-9524 (Fax)